Monday, September 22, 2008

Back Up Plans In Tacoma

You don't have to live in Washington for long before you learn by experience to always have a back up plan for every outdoor activity you attempt. If you don't, you run the risk of some serious depression because you are always house bound. Or, even if you have an exceptionally strong constitution and can weather the let down yourself, you will soon find yourself the captain of a mutinous army of children who need to get out and do SOMETHING and are very bummed and way too energetic for your own "extra" strong constitution to survive for long.

We were supposed to go on a 15 mile bike ride this weekend (and will someday soon...I'm crossing everything on my body that is crossible). But total gloom, chill fog and rain were a huge determining factor in canceling our excursion. So off we went to Tacoma. Can you believe that we have not explored the closest "big" city to us in the three years we have lived here? We have been to Point Defiance and Ruston Way to eat and crab but that's it. Saturday we actually did Tacoma stuff. I got our day trip plan from Sunset magazine. Another real favorite. I steal them every time I visit the doctor. (I am such a larcenist, that would be a really good Christmas idea if anyone is looking) We started at the Tacoma Museum of Glass. It was way more awesome than I could have hoped. We were thinking two hours would be plenty of time. Wrong-o. I wish we had more time. We went first to the factory arena and actually witnessed first hand glass blowing. Then we went to the Children's Art room and the kids and I made stained glass creations (out of plastic). I was so impressed with their kids program. I am going to do it with my achievement day girls. They have this cool contest every month. Kids turn in their ideas for a glass creation. Something funky and colorful. The artisans look through the entries every month and then choose one to create. They make one for the child and keep one for the museum. Totally cool. We loved the displays and exhibitions. We really enjoyed every minute we had there. It is free every third Thursday night. We will be going back for sure.

Then we ate dinner at the coolest place. It was just down the street called The Dock Street Sandwich Company. We felt like total celebrities. I have never had such amazing customer service. The menu was small but the food was delicious. But more than anything, we loved Shannon our server and daughter of the owners. She even diced up fruit for Sara!!!! They had the kids draw pictures for them after dinner and framed them and hung them up right then and there. It was so much fun. We will go back again as well.

For desert we went to Hello Cupcake for the prettiest, yummiest tasting cupcakes around. The girls were especially excited. The frosting was sooo good.

It was such a great "indoor" weekend. So if you are visiting us next or thinking about it. You can be sure we will take you on this very fun adventure in Tacoma if it happens to be raining...and the chances are good:-)

8 comments:

The Seaquist Family said...

What an awesome day! And Hello that cupcake...well, that is just mean to post that when I can't get one! We never did the Museum of Glass - I was too nervous just thinking of the bill I would accumulate to cover everything the boys broke.

Nicole said...

You need to write a book about what to do in Washington...

RuSty and LaLa said...

I'll take one of those please. Thursday will be just fine.

Fun trip. I can't believe that Katie Aunt Susanna Wilcox is getting so big. Nice picture too.

shelly said...

Can I have one, too! I think that I will need one of those tomorrow or sooner!

mom said...

That sounds so fun! We have talked about going to the Museum of Glass, but never have actually made it.

Heather said...

Miles and Matt have been to the Museum of Glass but I have yet to take the opportunity. Are you interested in a combined ADG activity?
The cupcake looks yummy! I could just order a cup of frosting.

Familia Bethers said...

What a fun day! Okay, that cupcake looks too pretty to eat ... yet I probably still would because it looks even yummier! :)

Stacey B. said...

I've been thinking of those cupcakes for a whole day now and trying to plan my day around getting one. Thanks for the idea!