Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Four Year Old Separation Anxiety

It isn't totally obvious like when you are trying to leave your 18 month old in the nursery. I think she is embarrassed a little and is trying to handle it quietly on her own. Which I appreciate, but it is still there.

She still freaks out if we are getting ready to go somewhere. There is no way I am allowed to get in the car before her. No chance. If she isn't ready yet she just grans her stuff and finishes in the car.

But two recent things have started happening.

When she is downstairs watching TV and I head upstairs, she asks me if I'm staying upstairs. If I say yes she walks up to the landing in the stairwell and makes herself comfortable. It's as close as she can be and still see her show. Such a silly goose.

The other development isn't new, but it made me so sad for her yesterday. Her little mind must be a wreck sometimes. She was playing in the bath and had been there for a long time (she was at least 95%water from all the absorption). I went to Emily's bus stop after telling her where I was going and that I would be right back. I came home to her hysterically trying to pull clothes onto her wet little body (not an easy task) as she was crying. It had taken me a minute. Seriously... Poor baby.

Anyway, who knows why, but apparently I'm not allowed to leave her site too much anymore.

11 comments:

RuSty and LaLa said...

That is so sad. I hate putting on clothes when I'm still wet. Atleast she was putting on clothes and not running out the door naked.

Jennifer said...

I'm pretty sure that was coming next!

The Seaquist Family said...

OH poor thing. Looks like years of counseling to me by the time she hits her teenage years. Funny for us, but SO tramatic for her.

Andrea said...

I feel for her and you. Zach was my kid who struggled with this the most. When we first tried preschool he hid under the table for a month. WE had to quit til the following semester. He screamed and kicked the teacher every day when I dropped him off. When we finally quit and I asked why, he said, "But I just love you too much." Jenny, I guess she just loves you too much!!!

Nicole said...

Oh, what a sweetie...

Sara said...

I totally understand where you are coming from because I have one of those at my house too and he is older than four. He doesn't like to go downstairs or upstairs by himself and it drives me crazy! I guess eventually they will grow out of it...hopefully!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it while you can, there may come a day she doesn't want to be near you, those pesty teenage years!!!
Love
Mom

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

Holy crud...what did you do to her? Kidding. Poor little one. You might want to start easing her into preschool or something...before you have to do the Kindergarten drop off.

Anonymous said...

that's actually really sweet. she just loves you so much that she wants to be with her mama:)-even if it means whatching tv from the landing.

Anonymous said...

Love my little granddaugther
Tucson Grandpa

M said...

I miss my kids being little and never wanting to leave my side. Jenny, truly, you are such a good and sweet mom.