Wednesday, April 16, 2008

April Fools











An April Fools dinner has become a fledgling tradition in our family. It all started two years ago when I made the kids chicken nuggets, peas and carrots all made out of candy and then cupcakes made out of meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dessert. The kids loved it. They thought it was the coolest dinner ever. It made me feel so good to get them all laughing over dinner. A real feat in my house. the kids are all so finicky with food and I generally don't stand for it which leads to lots of tears! I think the biggest hit that year though was the jello drink!

Last year I was too sick and depressed to do anything fun. They were all lucky if they even got dinner. I can't remember....


But this year I was back in the saddle with culinary tricks up my sleeve (thanks again to Family Fun Magazine, one of my favorites). We had chocolate pie! The kids were totally on to me of course. But the meatloaf pie did actually have chocolate in it. So I was able to honestly say it was a chocolate pie!!!!

Unfortunately Chase has this crazy, unfounded disgust of mashed potatoes. Both he and Katie went to bed because they wouldn't eat. So not such a happy celebration after all. Next year I need to find something without mashed potatoes. Or I could follow Dave's advice and make on;y mashed potatoes everyday for dinner. Eventually Chase will have to eat them or starve.

April is such a good month. It as nothing to do with other amazing holidays like per say my birthday or the arrival of Spring (I know March claims that date but come on pretentious little March!!!!! we all know Spring isn't really around until April!)

No comments: