Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It's Totally My Mom's Fault - I've Lost My Mind

This is Nacho, the newest member to our family. And yes our second cat and 5th pet.

I love to think it is all my Mother's fault that I am crazy insane and have as many pets as I do. I blame her that in a 1800 square foot home I have four children, a 50 pound dog, two cats, a fish and a frog. If she would have just been better at letting us have pets when we were children, maybe I wouldn't have such a weak spot for soft furry critters that purrr at the very sight of you.

OK - I know I can't blame my Mom, but I thought it was worth a try. I am a total softy when it come to the animal world. I know I am. That's why for a month I continually declined Emily and Sophie Crawford's invitation to come and see "the cutest kittens in the world" that so conveniently were being fostered by Sophie's neighbor. For weeks I resisted. I told Emily (and I was right), "Emily I can not go to see the kittens. I will see them and them I will want one and we can not have another kitten!"

Then on her birthday I let her totally manipulate me and I crumbled. It all went down like this:

"Mom please come see the kittens."
"No Emily, I've already told you, I can not go look at the kittens."
"Mom, please...for my birthday... please just come and look."
"OK, but we are not getting a kitten."

WE LEFT WITH A KITTEN...

I can not believe I have such poor self control, that I crumbled so easily, that Emily already knows how to get from me what she wants.

But now we are the happy owners of the sweetest kitten ever.

We have named him Nacho. He and Chancho are very best friends.
(other names in the running were King - his birth name-, Chester - as in Chester the cheetah Cheetos-, Julius -like orange Julius, and Cheddar -short for Cheddar cheese-)

4 comments:

The Seaquist Family said...

So happy to see you blogging again! I've missed you. Love the post. I am the opposite with my Mom. We had too many pets growing up (cats, dogs, fish, snake, rabbit, ducks...) and we lived in LA. So now, I live a pet free life. I love them, but my hands are full with the kids. Congrats on the new addition!

Anonymous said...

Emily you learn so quickly.
The kitty really is cute, better without the coating Sara gave him.
I was voting for Cheddar.
Oh well... enjoy.
Love
Mom

mom said...

Haha! Nacho is very cute and I can see why you had trouble resisting.

Nicole said...

Yep- a total softie :)